This infographic about youth resistance training has been created for the TREK project.
Resistance training can be initiated in youth to improve health and performance and…
- It should be designed and supervised by qualified professionals.
- It may reduce sports-related injuries.
- It is essential in preparatory training programmes for aspiring young athletes.
- Done regularly, can support and encourage participation in physical activity long-term..
- Not doing it early in life may be at increased risk for negative health outcomes later in life.
- It should be based on age, motor skill competency, technical strength, etc.
- It should focus on developing technical skill and competency at right intensity and volume.
- It should be safe, effective and enjoyable.
Lloyd RS, Faigenbaum AD, Stone MH, et al Position statement on youth resistance training: the 2014 International Consensus Br J Sports Med 2014;48:498-505.