It is of vital importance that migraine patients keep in mind some easy-to-understand tips that will help them to self-manage.
These tips are:
- You are the key to success: You must have an active role in the treatment of your migraine. Studies show that there are several ways you can improve on your own.
- Have a healthy lifestyle: Stay hydrated, have a healthy diet, exercise and have a good daily rest.
- Educate yourself: Ask your healthcare professional where to find reliable information about migraine and try to read it to understand what migraine is about.
- Take the medicines as advised: You must follow, strictly, your healthcare professional’s recommendations.
- You are not alone: Remember that there is a great team that can help you: doctors, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists, family …
– Westergaard, M. L., Hansen, E. H., Glümer, C., Olesen, J., & Jensen, R. H. (2013). Definitions of medication-overuse headache in population-based studies and their implications on prevalence estimates: A systematic review. Cephalalgia, 34(6), 409–425. doi:10.1177/0333102413512033
– Probyn K, Bowers H, Mistry D On behalf of the CHESS team., et al Non-pharmacological self-management for people living with migraine or tension-type headache: a systematic review including analysis of intervention componentsBMJ Open 2017;7:e016670. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016670
– Kindelan-Calvo, P., Gil-Martínez, A., Paris-Alemany, A., Pardo-Montero, J., Muñoz-García, D., Angulo-Díaz-Parreño, S., & La Touche, R. (2014). Effectiveness of Therapeutic Patient Education for Adults with Migraine. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Pain Medicine, 15(9), 1619–1636. doi:10.1111/pme.12505