In this infographic you can find a summary of the main the recommendations for the treatment of patellofemoral pain.
I advise you to read the original article (link at the bottom), to have a better understanding of the different points exposed here.
It is recommended
- Exercise therapy Reduces pain in the short, medium and long term and improves function in the medium and long term.
- Combination of hip and knee exercises. Reduces pain and improves function in the short, medium and long term.
- Combined treatment (exercise therapy, taping, orthoses, mobilization). Decreases pain in the short and medium term.
- Orthoses. Reduces pain in the short term.
It is not recommended
- Lumbar, knee and patellofemoral mobilization.
- Electrophysical agents.
This infographic is based on the paper Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester. Part 2: recommended physical interventions (exercise, taping, bracing, foot orthoses and combined interventions) by Kay M Crossley et al. (2016).