It is of vital importance that migraine patients keep in mind some easy-to-understand tips that will help them to self-manage.
These tips are:
- You are the key to success: You must have an active role in the treatment of your migraine. Studies show that there are several ways you can improve on your own.
- Have a healthy lifestyle: Stay hydrated, have a healthy diet, exercise and have a good daily rest.
- Educate yourself: Ask your healthcare professional where to find reliable information about migraine and try to read it to understand what migraine is about.
- Take the medicines as advised: You must follow, strictly, your healthcare professional’s recommendations.
- You are not alone: Remember that there is a great team that can help you: doctors, nurses, psychologists, physiotherapists, family …
– Westergaard, M. L., Hansen, E. H., Glümer, C., Olesen, J., & Jensen, R. H. (2013). Definitions of medication-overuse headache in population-based studies and their implications on prevalence estimates: A systematic review. Cephalalgia, 34(6), 409–425. doi:10.1177/0333102413512033